All of our policies are underwritten by leading UK insurers and available at competitive rates,
so call 0800 294 4522 now


What is home insurance?

Home insurance can be broken down into two parts – buildings insurance and contents insurance. With Discount Landlord, you can choose either or both to suit your needs.

Buildings cover insures the structure of your property against events such as fire, and storm damage, while contents cover protects your belongings against theft, loss and damage.

Is home insurance essential?

Most mortgage lenders insists you have buildings cover in place to protect your home and the investment you have made in it.

Do I need home insurance if I am renting?

You don’t usually require buildings cover when renting, however it is a good idea to take out  contents insurance to cover the cost of replacing your possessions should you suffer from theft or burglary.

Do I need to let my insurer know about any changes to my property?

Yes, if in doubt you should always let your insurer know about any changes you make to your property, including conversions, extensions and changes of personnel living there as this could invalidate your insurance policy.

I work from home, can you still cover me?

Yes, our non-standard property insurance covers those working from home or trading from home. Click here for full details.

Am I still covered if my property is unoccupied?

Yes, depending on which underwriter you choose your property is covered for up to 90 days of unoccuppancy, ie extended trips abroad. Please check the key facts and policy wordings before purchase or speak to our customer services on 0800 294 4522 if you are in any doubt.

Am I covered for home emergency?

Yes, should you suffer an emergency such as a burst pipe or blocked drain at home then we will organise an emergency repair and pay up £500 for a call out, labour and materials. This cover is included as standard and offered on an ‘opt-out’ basis.

Are transportable items covered?

Yes, portable items such as mobile phones, laptops, pedal bikes etc are covered under our optional personal possessions cover.

What does new for old mean?

Lost or damaged items are replaced with a brand new one without any reductions taken with regards to the wear and tear of the original item. Alternatively, we may pay you cash settlement based on the original value of the item.

How do I cancel my policy?

We hope you are completely delighted with your policy; however if you decide you do wish to cancel it, please contact us immediately. You must do this in writing to either or Discount Landlord, TheBusiness Exchange, 26/28 Hammersmith Grove, London, W6 7BA.

You have 14 days from the start of your policy, or from the day you receive your documents, to decide if this product meets your needs. If you choose to cancel this policy within this period, and no claim has been made, we will refund the policy, charging you only for time on cover. Cancellations made after 14 days of the start date will be subject to cancellation fee of up to £35. We will also retain a pro-rata premium for time on cover. For instance, if you paid £200 for a policy and cancelled this half-way you will be entitled to a refund of £100 for the unexpired portion of the policy less the cancellation fee of £35 (total refund in this instance would be £65). Please note any administration fees charged for policy set up are non-refundable if cancelled after the 14 days cooling off period.

However on certain policies, such as Legal Expenses & Rent Guarantee Insurance, there is no refund payable after the 14 days and no cancellation fee will be charged. Where this is applicable it would be highlighted on your policy wording.

(Visited 235 times, 1 visits today)

Other products


Get a Quote Get a Quick Quote


Order Now


Get a Quote