Third of landlords breaking gas safety laws.

Share this onShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on Pinterest

A third of landlords have been found to be breaking gas safety laws putting their tenants at risk from faulty gas fittings. carried out a survey of 1,036 tenants who have been living in their property for more than a year and found that 36% had out of date certificates, while 26% had never had a gas safety certificate in the first place.

By law, landlords must get an engineer on the gas safety register to carry out annual checks on their properties to ensure that all gas appliances are working correctly and safely. Tenants must be given copies of all gas safety certificates.

In the last year 18 people died and 310 were injured from gas leaks, carbon monoxide poisoning, fires and explosions in the UK.

The importance of gas safety checks was highlighted this week when a Leeds landlord was fined for failing to have their property’s gas appliances regularly checked putting the tenant at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Matt Hutchinson from said, “While professional landlords have many years of experience and know the tenancy rules and regulations inside out, amateur landlords who buy second properties to rent out as a long-term investment may not have any previous experience of the rental market. This means they may not be aware of their legal obligations, particularly if they’ve advertised for tenants privately, rather than through a letting agent”.

Get a landlords’ insurance quote now from Discount Landlord Insurance.

19th April 2010