What to do if you are unhappy with your letting agent?

Share this onEmail this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on Pinterest

For Sale, To Let, and Sold signs on lower facade of apartment building

There are many reasons why you might be unhappy with your letting agent, these might arise from the type of tenant your letting agent found you or not managing the property in the way promised.

As most letting agents charge a fee for managing the property, this can of course lead to you feeling angry and upset.

However, remember to take a step back and deal with the situation in the right way.

Here are some steps you can take to resolve the problems:

  • Be direct! Make sure you first discuss your issues and concerns with your agent before taking any other action. Your letting agent is ultimately earning money because of you, so they should and most likely will do anything in their power to keep you and your property.
  • If you simply want to end your contract and the matter is not serious enough to take it to court or a trade association, make sure you read your contract first. If your letting agent has breached the contract, you should not be charged any fees by terminating.
  • There will often be a written period of notice, which you need to provide an agent with before terminating the contract. Make sure you abide by the rules as stated in your contract so you do not breach it.
  • If you are happy with the tenant and want to keep them, ensure the contract does not forbid this. Some letting agents will put a clause in that as long as one of the original tenants resides in the property you are still liable for paying the fees. They might also want you to pay an ‘Introduction Fee’.
  • If you have given the letting agents a chance to fix the problem but you feel they are still treating you unfairly, you have the right to complain. If you have chosen wisely your letting agent will be registered with a trade association for landlords or letting agents, which you can get in touch with to resolve the dispute.
  • This is a step you should take in serious cases, where the letting agents have breached their code of conduct, in this case you can take action through grievance procedures. You also have the right to contact the Estate Agents Ombudsman Scheme if the letting agent is a member of the scheme, and getting advice from them about how to proceed.

Remember to be sure that you can manage the property without a letting agent or that you have found a new one before ending your current contract.

If you are going to be renting your property out privately, Discount Landlord can provide you with a quote on 0800 294 4522!

(Visited 414 times, 4 visits today)